Happy 6th Anniversary to WordPress! Did you know WordPress just turned 6 years old today? (their first version 0.7 was released on May 27, 2003)
We had our third Ferndale WordPress Meetup at AJ’s yesterday.
I decided to start a WordPress blog here for this group to share links and keep track of things we talked about.
- Tim is building a site for his client using a custom theme and plugins like Mass Edit Pages, Contact Form 7, and Faster Image Insert
- Tina is working on a home page design for her church web site. I (Naoko) suggested using something like JQuery Cycle Plugin for slideshow (note: this is not a WordPress plugin!)
- Raphael’s project After the Deadline is now released to the public and available as a WordPress plugin. He also mentioned usability testing site Feedback Army which he had built
- Trevor said he custom-built his server and have it hosted at a hosting company that has a local location. Sounded like an alternative to self-hosting for having your own reasonable and reliable server.
- Joe mentioned a couple of PHP-based community site building tools, Dolphin and Elgg that he had used. Maybe something to compare BuddyPress with?
- We also briefly talked about WordPress 2.8 – it will include improved Widgets and one-click Theme install.
- I showed some comps from my past project as inspiration for blog designing. Making iterative changes is good, and launching fast & making more changes after feedback is important.
Kirk & David, I was sitting too far away from you guys… please add things I didn’t catch!