The Wifi connection was a little slow, so I didn’t do live blogging using P2 (as I posted last time).
Thanks for coming to this month’s meetup!
Tim, David, Trevor, Ed, Dave, Brad, Jessie, and Andrew
David took notes and I posted some links on FriendFeed.
Topics we talked about (some overwraps with FriendFeed):
- Do we want to plan a WordCamp here?
- We need sponsors, speakers, & venue – exploring some possiblities
- Work with other groups – BarCamp? “Tech weekend”? “Blogger week”?
- It would be nice to have a2geeks.org type of local community for our area.
- Ed mentioned some other groups
- Dave demoed a BuddyPress onStar site that his team has been working on (no link – it will be live next week)
- BuddyPress vs Ning: BuddyPress is much more customizable (especially in blog template) and can be easily learned by devs who use WordPress already
- Andrew’s question: “what’s the best way to attract blog audience?”
- Start communicating from your side. Comment on other people’s blogs
- Build good content
- Integrate other tools – e.g. Twitter, FriendFeed
- Good Twitter plugin?
- What do you don’t like about WordPress?
- Media upload handling (looking forward to 2.9!)
- WordPress.com = less customizable for js/flash widgets than Blogger
- What do you love about WordPress?
- very extensible
- easy and fun to customize
- nice admin UI