April’s Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup at United Way – Campus Martius included a pair of presentations on two popular WordPress-related topics; security and social media. Eric Malcolm delivered a crash course titled, “WordPress Security Basics” where he dove into the finer details of the iThemes Security Plugin. Following Eric, Angela Samuels explained how to take charge of social media with WordPress in her talk titled, “WordPress, Social Media and How it All Fits Together”. Here are my notes from those two talks, WordPress Social Media & Security Basics.
- The iThemes Security plugin includes a number of features designed to protect your WordPress website from a variety of attacks.
- The plugin dashboard provides a suite of 1-click fixes that makes securing your WP installation easy and quick.
- The 1-click fixes are categorized according to priority level (e.g. High, Medium, Low)
Plugin features we should be taking advantage of:
- Brute Force Protection: limits the number of login attempts before locking out the potential hacker
- Hide Admin & Login: allows you to change the URL used to log into the WP dashboard, making it more difficult for hackers to access
- Strong Password Enforcement: set the required strength of passwords for your users
- Database Backups: receive copies of your WP database via email, customizable backup schedule
- Install and configure plugin settings soon after installing WordPress
- Some options (i.e. changing name of “wp-content” folder can cause major problems
Eric Malcolm is a web designer and developer, as well as a user experience and search engine optimization enthusiast. He makes sure that websites, interfaces, apps, etc. are aesthetically pleasing, developed properly, human-friendly and usable.
- The purpose of your WordPress website is to get your message out.
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a useful tool to help you do so.
Paper.li – automatically collect, publish and share content on the web:
- Select the websites (sources) you want to pull content from to form a customized newspaper containing content from across the web
- Create news editions based on topic, website source, social media network, etc. and customize delivery time and date
- Responsive web app makes accessing the content a breeze on smartphones, tablets and PCs
- Basic version includes automatic updates, up to 25 content sources, auto posting to social media networks, widgets and more – cost is free
- Pro version includes branded newspaper editions, google analytics, your own advertising and more – cost is $9/month
Symphony – content marketing and social media publishing suite
- Aimed at the social media marketer, allows you to manage multiple social media profiles
- Automate sharing, scheduling of posts, custom page theming, brand monitoring and more
- Tiered pricing after free introductory period; $14/month, $29/month & $99/month
TweetAdder – Twitter marketing and management software
- Designed to help build your follower base
- Advanced search capabilities, schedule automated tweets, automated direct messaging, manage multiple Twitter profiles and more
- Tiered pricing after free introductory period; $19/month, $29/month & $69/month
Additional tools to check out:
Angela Samuels is a marketing coordinator and community manager at Visionary Meetings shared office space. Angela has been in web development for over 15 years. She has her Master’s degree in instructional design from Wayne State focusing on corporate training. She has been using WordPress for her clients for the last 5 years. Her specialty is creating a enhanced social media savvy WordPress sites to help increase exposure online.