For our April 2020 meetup, we held our first virtual meetup.
Here are a few notes and highlights from our April 13, 2020 meetup, hosted by co-organizers Randy Walker and Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
First Virtual Meetup
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we held our first virtual meetup using Jitsi, a free, open-source video-conference platform.
- If you’re interested, here’s a helpful resource for using Jitsi. (Start with section 3. Tips and Tricks)
- The meeting wasn’t recorded, but we used the chat feature to share information and resources.
WordPress 5.4 Released
- Default full-screen editor (can be disabled)
- Two new blocks: Social Icons and Buttons
- Streamlined user interface
- Welcome Guide modal
- More features and updates in WordPress 5.4
What Membership Plugins have People Used?
Recommendations for User Role Plugins
- James asked about user role plugins to provide more options that the WordPress-provided user roles
- Some recommended plugins included User Role Editor and Advanced Access Manager
How to Improve a Slow-loading Page
- Lots of different ways to check site performance and speed
- Two free options: GTMetrix and Google’s Page Speed Insights
- Both offer analysis and tips for improving performance
- Page Speed Insights provides mobile and desktop performance, with targeted development and design recommendations for improvement
- For a recent site, Deborah used Page Speed insights to increase mobile performance from 38 to 88 and desktop performance from 41 to 92 for a client site.
Setting up a Local WordPress Environment
TJ List shared Laragon, a free option for setting up a local WordPress environment. TJ said he had a site up and running quickly, without the headaches and issues of setting up XAMMP.
One thought on “Takeaways from April 2020 Meetup: Get Answers on Your WordPress Project”
Comments are closed.