For our September 2018 meetup, two members shared their WordPress journey:
- How they first came to use WordPress
- What they were doing before using WordPress
- Aha! moments as they created WordPress websites
Thanks to Phil Salatrik and Colleen Sullivan Leh for sharing their experiences and stories about their WordPress journeys.
Their talks are a reminder to everyone working with WordPress that we all come from different places, whether it’s creating static websites, MySpace, logging, or starting a new business.
After the presentations, we enjoyed a good discussion about learning WordPress, dealing with spam, and setting up staging sites for WordPress sites.
Thanks to everyone who attended.
Check out the meetup welcome slideshow with info about upcoming events, three things about WordPress, and our WordPress meetups in metro Detroit.
Resources and Links
Here are some of the resources and links mentioned during the meetup:
- Get WordPress help from fellow meetup members. Share your question on our Meetup discussion group, on our Facebook group, or Slack.
- Two free online WordPress resources are the WordPress.org forums (recommended by Colleen) and WordPress StackExchange
- Phil found Udemy WordPress courses helpful, here’s a list of their top WordPress courses as of September 2018
- Another resource for learning WordPress are Lynda.com WordPress courses, including courses from Morten Rand-Hendriksen on WordPress Essential Training and Building Child Themes
- Deborah mentioned her post, On Getting Started with WordPress, which offers tips and resources about WordPress, including the difference between WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress, a free online WordPress guide for maintaining content, and more
- If you want to set up a test site, Local by Flywheel makes setting up a local WordPress development site easy. And it’s free.
- Andy mentioned the MOZ article on filtering junk traffic from Google Analytics
- If you’re looking for an alternative to Google Analytics, check out Gauges, a premium service for web traffic statistics
- Metro Detroit WordPress members can use our group promo code to save 55% off hosting through our sponsor A2 Hosting. Check out meetup group page for the code.
Stop by the meetup site for a few more photos of the meetup.
Shoutout to A2 Hosting and Grand Circus for their sponsorship of our Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup group.